So you guys know about how I don’t do readathons, right?
I did one. From September 18th to the 22nd! Crazy right?
Jade @ Drink Coffee and Read Books turned me on to this one, and it is so little, I couldn’t resist. I joined in the I Suck at Readathons Readathon! This is run by Booktuber Sam @ Sam’s Nonsense. You can view her Video Announcement or the Official Twitter Page.
Rather than go crazy and have a huge stack of books, Sam wanted to gear this readathon towards community and make the reading challenge really simply. There’s almost zero commitment to this one. I love it.
1. Read the smallest book on your shelf – Quidditch Through the Ages (10/11).
2. Read 10 pages/day – Rejected Princesses (10/12).
3. Read a graphic novel – Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Life (10/18).
4. Finish 1 book – Dodger (10/4).
5. Read for 20 mins/day – I’m realigning this to be listened for at least 20 minutes a day… which I did! Dodger (10/4), The Romanov Conspiracy (DNF, 10/5), Monstrous Beauty (10/19), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and Seraphina.
I managed this one really well… which, let’s be honest, I expected to? I also had fun participating in their Q&As every night!
I’m not a readathon convert.
Even though this was fun – and I’d probably do this one again sometime, I still think readathons take the fun out of reading. I like to read before bed at night and for me, it’s a relaxation thing to help put my mind to sleep. Setting a timer or counting pages definitely took away from that.
What this DID accomplish, however, was an opportunity to push myself through Reject Princesses a bit and pick up a graphic novel, which I almost never go for. I’ve had Scott Pilgrim on my shelves for YEARS and never read them, although I really like the franchise and I’ve seen the movie and played the video game. I think it’s good to step out of your comfort zone sometimes. You can grow as a reader and get stuff done.
Now! I’m going back to my delicious ARC of The Big Lie. That was fun, but now I’m done!